Sunday, April 12, 2009

Butterfly Symmetry Slideshare!




My teacher did not want me to take pictures in my classroom so I posted the power point that I used to teach the concept of symmetry. The learning objective for this lesson was Standard 2, Objective 1 c. which says, "Identify, create, and label growing patterns using objects...and pictures." I taught the concept of symmetry using various objects like globes and stars as well as people and insects like Hannah Montana, butterflies, and ladybugs. Then I related symmetry to artwork and had the students apply symmetry to their butterfly art piece.

I used a power point in my classroom to teach this concept since the school was pretty limited in the technology that it had (in 1st grade at least). I identified what symmetry was for the children and showed examples and non-examples of it through using objects, insects, and people to illustrate the concept. Using a power point was the most practical thing to use and it greatly enhanced my lesson. It saved me time (in not having to draw every object on a dry-erase board and show its symmetry) and it made the lesson more colorful, interactive, and engaging.

I felt like this lesson of projecting the power point presentation on an LCD projector went very well! The students were able to come up to the screen and show me where they thought an object, insect, or person needed to be divided in half in order to make them symmetrical. The power point helped to show them the error of their ways if they were wrong, which further helped to promote a discussion amongst the classmates about why it was wrong. The power point was colorful, vibrant, and interactive, and really helped to engage the students in the symmetry lesson. In the future, I would change my approach of having the children come up to the screen and show how to make objects symmetrical by giving them more opportunities and making the lesson even more interactive. This technology integration was especially great in matching up with each of the four principles of technology (i.e. technology. pedagogy, and content knowledge).

No comments:

Post a Comment